Friday 4 September 2015

JAI 278 inspiration challenge - poinsettia in the woods pillow box (& instructions)

It's been a crazy week at colour me happy so our new challenge at Just Add Ink really snuck up on me. This week we're using these gorgeous floral pics as our inspiration.
Having limited time turned out to be my friend as I went with my first instincts rather than my usual indecisiveness. The colours in the carpet of tulips reminded me of a pretty floral print in our new Into the Woods paper pack. Last week I'd also been checking out poinsettia colours (who knew they came in over 100 colours? - not me!). One of the pics I saw was this gorgeous Golden Melody one.
So two thoughts collided & this is what I came up with - a pillow box decorated with a poinsettia.
I made a long pillow box with our new square pillow box die - so quick & easy. This version is about double the length of the normal square box. I cut 4 pieces with the die rather than the usual 2 pieces, adhered them together in the middle & hid the join with a belly band.
The wood print paper is the reverse side of the floral paper. If you'd like more info on how to make the double sized pillow box, leave me a comment & I'll share how in another post.

The poinsettia is daffodil delight, sponged & stamped in tangelo twist (the sponging is much more noticeable & pretty in real life). See how to make it, below.
I mounted the poinsettia on a simple tag with rounded corners. To reflect the natural theme I used a natural wood element sentiment. Here's a closer look at the tag.
So, do you think I met the challenge? I'm very happy it turned out like I hoped. Now I just need to fill the box with something nice & I have just the person in mind for it. Remember to check out the different ways the team interpreted the challenge & play along with us too. You'll find all the challenge fun here.

Make your own poinsettia
Supplies: new festive flower punch & leaf stamps from Reason for the Season stamp set (available together as a discounted bundle - score!). All 3 petal sizes & the centre are all in one punch!
Poinsettia Recipe
11 large petals: 8 daffodil, 3 old olive - yes I forgot to add the olive leaves before my pic.
4 medium petals: daffodil
2 small petal pairs: daffodil
5 centres: 1 x daffodil, 1 x tangelo, 1 x mossy meadow, 2 x old olive.
Petal prep: stamp each piece with the vein in tangelo twist (after stamping off once), score down the middle free hand with stylus. Fold petal in half, flatten, then re-open.
2 x punched circles - 1 x 1 inch, 1 x 3/4 inch (or just small card scraps)

Make the flower:
1. Punch shapes
2. Stamp veins with medium leaf & pair leaf stamps in tangelo twist & old olive ink (stamped off once). Sponge around edges with same colour ink.
3. Score down centre of each leaf with a stylus. Fold, then reopen.
4. Place dob of multipurpose liquid glue in centre of 1 inch circle. Adhere rounded ends of 4 large leaves to form a cross (no overlap). Place another dob of glue on top & adhere another crossed layer of 4 petals, off-setting them with previous layer
5. Repeat step 4 using the medium petals & 3/4 inch circle. Adhere on top of large petals, off-setting them with previous layer.
6. Adhere flower centres together then place in centre of poinsettia petals.
7. Add a small circle of tangelo, a pretty pearl or rhinestone in the centre.
8 Leave to dry. Once dry, gently push each petal end together & up to add more dimension.
9. Put your poinsettia on something pretty & give it to someone :-) 

Well that's all for me for now. Thanks for visiting today & come back soon. Here's a final image if you'd like to pin for later. Leave me a comment to let me know what you think, ask any q's or if you'd like to see a tute for the extended pillow box.
Until next time.
Inky wishes, Di

PS: You'll find most of the goodies I used today in our all new 2015 Holiday Catalogue. It's packed with more new Christmas, halloweem & everyday ideas that you could poke a poinsetta at.

See & download the Aus/NZ Holiday Catalogue here
See all Holiday Catalogue goodies in my online store
Contact me for your free paper copy to view with your favourite cuppa, if you don't already have a Demonstrator looking after you. :-)
2015 Holiday Catalogue

Supplies
To see & order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one. Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order. Note - Stamp sets & bundles noted below may be available in other mount options (eg wood, cling rubber or photopolymer). I have listed the option that I used. Please check the online store if your preference is different.

7 comments:

Nikki Spencer said...

Oh lordy how divine is this! Totally in love with your giant pillow box Di, the colours and gorgeous bloom are perfect for heralding the the arrival of spring! And my pillow box die just arrived, so you can guess what's first on my try list..:0)
Thanks for another wonderful tutorial, as always you go above and beyond with the details. xx

KimB said...

Di you temptress!!! I adore that patterned paper (I have resisted so far) and likewise with your golden poinsettia flower. It is just stunning and I love your idea of extending the pillow box - it looks huge! Thanks for all the fabulous details. xxx

Jan said...

Oh wow Di! So totally gorgeous!! Such a wonderful extension of the pillow box and I love your yellow poinsettia too. I too have so far resisted both of these but its going to be very hard not to add to my Wish List now. So beautiful and a fabulous tutorial as always too. xo

Jodene said...

This is beautiful Di, and I love that flower!

Patrice said...

I honestly had no idea Poinsettias came in any colour other than red. I've learned something here today, thanks.

You've created a masterpiece here, such a divine little gift box. Really beautiful. xx

Shona Chambers said...

Wow this is gorgeous!! I had no idea that poinsettias came in so many colours, just love that golden one. The flower looks beautiful on your gift box and love all the pretty flowers on it too. Fabulous inspiration from the photo, will inspire lots of entries I bet!!

Kylie Bertucci said...

This is gorgeous Di! I love what you have done with this gift box. Very very clever. TFS