Friday 28 March 2014

Flower Shop Long Card in a Box (with template)

Today I'm sharing my last card in a box project for now - a long rectangle version full of my fave Flowers Shop & Petite Petals flowers. This was my second project from my February class. I designed this size to fit a standard C6 envelope (& also fits a US sized envie too). I've shared my template for this shaped box at the bottom of this post too so you can try it yourself.
I'm not usually a huge yellow girl, but I loved how the calypso coral & pool party flowers looked with the so saffron DSP. Here's a closer look at the flowers (btw. the yellow flower is actually stamped in daffodil delight).
& one more from the top, so you can see the inserts.
When the card is folded flat for posting, it measures 14cm x 10.5cm (5-1/2 x 4-1/8inches).
The panels under the flaps are crisp cantaloupe stamps with a small Petite Petals outline flower. I kept the back panel  pretty simple
I added a crisp cantaloupe & white panel, which had the added benefit of strengthening the whisper white base too.

Long Rectangle Card in a Box Cutting Template
Finished Size when flat: 114cm x 10.5cm (5-1/2 x 4-1/8inches). Front & back panels are 10cm wide, Side panels are 4cm wide.
Cut Base: 29.7cm x 10.5cm (cut A4 sheet in half long-way).
Score base: 10cm, 14cm, 24cm & 28cm on long side. Score at 5.5cm on short side
Inserts: Cut at 12cm x 2cm. Score at 1cm from either end
If you're more visual, here's the template I put together. Broken lines are score lines. Red lines are cutting lines. Leave the section with blue score line unfolded - this is the back panel.
 Check out Monica Gale's fab video tutorial for visual instructions on how to make a general card in a box. Follow the same principles - just substitute my cutting & scoring measurements.
Prefer inches?
The project dimensions were created in cm's, so they don't translate to inches as neatly as I'd like. The converted dimensions are as follows. I will post a neater solution if I have time to think!
Finished Size when flat: 5-1/2 x 4-5/8 inches. Front & back panels are approx 4-7/8in wide, Side panels are 1-1/8inch wide.
Cut Base:11.5 x 4-1/8 inches
Score base: 3-7/8, 5-1/2, 9-3/8 & 11 inches on long side. Score at 2-1/8 inches on short side.
Inserts: Cut at 5-7/8 inches x 3/4 inch. Score at 1/2 inch from either en.
You can also check out this Splitcoaststampers card in a box tutorial for a general card in a box tutorial in inches too. Follow the same principles - just substitute my cutting & scoring measurements.
I hope you have a go at making a long card in a box with my measurements. I think the longer length gives great opportunities to create a bigger scene. If you have any questions, just ask & don't forget to coment & pin if you like the project. Thanks for visiting & pop back soon.
Inky wishes, Di

Supplies
Stamps: Flower Shop, Petite Petals, Chalk Talk, Simply Sketched (hostess), Another Great Year

Card Paper: whisper white, crisp cantaloupe, calypso coral, pear pizzazz card, Subtles DSP stack (so saffron)
Ink: pool party, calypso coral, daffodil delight ink pads
Accessories: basic pearls, mini brads, 

Tools: Pansy Punch (Flower Shop bundle), Petite Petals Punch (Bundle), Chalk Talk Framelits (bundle), Oval framelits, hexagon punch, paper piercing mat, piercing tool, Occasions piercing templates.

30 comments:

Bronwyn Eastley said...

This looks fantastic. Must make one of these cards in a box!

Inge Vervaart said...

Thank you for sharing. It looks amazing. The colors match perfectly.

Rene from OZ x said...

Thank you Di for all your inspiration with the cards in a box pictures and tutorials, I love them.
Rene from OZ xo

Lynda said...

Hi Diane, Thanks for a fab new take on this card. LOVE it. ooxx

Patrice said...

This is divine! I LOVE the new shape you've given this - I hope to try it out at some stage this weekend. Thanks for sharing the tute Di.x

Anonymous said...

Thanky you so much for sharing and the easy to follow instructiobs

Donna said...

This is Beautiful, thank you so much for sharing the details!!! :)

Jenny Hayward said...

Thanks for sharing the instructions for this Di. I think it looks great. :)

Jenny x

Anonymous said...

Wow this is amazing. I've made quite a few card in box cards lately. I love this new shape, it's very different. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Cheers Donna Z :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the instructions. I have made the smaller box card and loved it, but, always wanted a larger area to fill in and this does it!! Thanks again and your card is so pretty.

Sam said...

So cute! :)

Ann Rosie said...

I've seen quite a few of these on the web recently, but this is the prettiest yet! Thank you for sharing and all the measurements!

janine jess said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I do prefer the long shaped box and love the way you have decorated it.

Christine Blain said...

Lovely, Di. Thank you for being so sharing, with your tutorials. Hope you don't mind I've shared this around a bit. :)

Nikki Stalker said...

This is lovely Di. Thanks for sharing the instructions.

Nikki

Brawny x said...

I love your card. Am pleased someone's done a different shape. Absolutely fab
Best wishes
www.cardsbybrawny.blogspot.co.uk

Connie said...

Love your box and tutorial for it!!!!! I do have one question though, is there any way you can post all the panel measurement in inches and the layer also????

Thank you soooo much,
Connie

Connie said...

Duh!!! I found the measurements.

Thank you anyway!
Connie

Connie said...

Can I still have the measurements though???


Thank you,
Connie

dominique said...

très belle carte , merci pour le tuto!!

Nikki Spencer said...

How did l miss this..:0) Love the alternate shape Di and your great tutorial, thank you for sharing. xxx

evelano said...

I just found your site and know I am going to enjoy it! Have made my first box card using the cupcake idea...am eager to try this one next. Thanks for sharing.

Linda K said...

Only just found your blog and love the shape/size of this card in a box - wonderful. Have made others but this lends itself to lots of other decorating ideas. Thank you so much for sharing and for giving the dimensions. I'm looking forward to looking around your blog.

Anonymous said...

I tried the inch measurements you said and it doesn't work. not sure what I did wrong but there aren't enough panels. anyway any help will be great. thanks. like the larger size.

ColourmehappyDi said...

Hi Anon
The inch measurements noted do work. You'll need to cut a piece 11-1/2 x 4-1/8 inches to start.
If you're in the US, you'll need to cut from a 12x12 sheet, as regular 8-1/2 x 11 card is not long enough unless you add joins.
Hope that helps, Di :-)

Anonymous said...

Die Karte in der Box gefällt mir von der GrĂ¶ĂŸe her sehr gut. Vielen Dank fĂ¼r deine Anleitung.
Monika

Thi Tran said...

Thanks for sharing I've made 2 already and everyone loves them!!

Janet Mills said...

Thanks for sharing I love this box.

Paula Reid said...

Hi Di - thanks for sharing this version of the card in a box. I used it for my card class and have blogged it today. I have also given you the credit for it :) Here's my blogpost http://yellowbearnz.blogspot.co.nz/2015/01/happy-anniversary.html
My card ladies loved it.
Many thanks.

nannyjkm said...

Hi Di, I just wanted to say thank you for your post on your Rectangle Card in a Box. With those really easy to follow instructions for the measurements, I was able to make up one for a class I held last night. Inspired by that,I also made one, sized to fit the Mini Treat Bag. :-)