Tuesday 17 September 2013

Triple layer for Father's Day

Today's card is one we made at my August masculine card class. I know Father's Day is now over for this year, but I'm sure you need masculine card ideas all year round.
 
I'm generally a clean & fresh cards kind of gal, but I really had fun making the grungy background & seeing how different it could look with more or less stamping. It still has the clean triple layers though, so still me I think. I used 2 stamp sets to create the triple layer - Clockworks & Gorgeous Grunge - both of which are perfect for masculine cards. The colours I used are crumb cake, soft sky & island indigo. The stamped layer used here is very vanilla, but the colours worked with white too. You can see the stamped layers better in this close-up.
I needed a bold sentiment to finish it off & this one from Delightful Dozen fitted the bill perfectly. I coloured in the outline letters with a soft sky marker to add a little more colour. Some of my class lovelies changed to a birthday sentiment, which looked great
I'm sure you've all tried a triple layer card by now, but if not, you must! Start with this blog post & video by the awesome Dawn Olchevske- why redesign the wheel! You can make your layers any size, but if you're a metric girl who likes even layers, you'll want to convert your measurements to better fit our A4 cardstock. These are my tried & true cutting measurements.

My triple layer card measurements
Use these measurements & the cutting layout pic below to cut enough pierces to make 2 cards from each A4 sheet.

Mat Layers  (island indigo card in sample)
1: 13.8 x 9.5cm
2: 11.3 x 7cm
3: 8.8 x 4.5cm
Cut A4 cardstock down to 9.5cm wide, then cut pieces as shown in the diagram below

Stamped Layers (very vanilla in sample
1: 13.3 x 9cm
2: 10.8 x 6.5cm
3: 8.3 x 4cm
Cut A4 cardstock down to 9cm wide, then cut pieces as shown in the diagram below.


Cutting Layout

I think that covers everything, but if there's anything else you'd like to know, just leave me a comment. I'll be back next time with the second card from the class. Thanks for visiting.
Inky wishes, Di
PS: thought you might like to see the separate stamp images I used from Clockworks & Gorgeous Grunge. You'll definitely be seeing more Grunge here! One final suggestion -  I love having this set in clear mount, as it makes it really easy to position the stamps, but if you don't have lots of clear blocks, I'd recommend you choose wood mount, so you can easily add to the layers without having to change stamps. Isn't it great you have the choice!
  
Supplies
Stamps: Gorgeous Grunge, Clockworks, Delightful Dozen
Card/Paper: crumb cake, very vanilla, island indigo card
Ink: crumb cake, island indigo, soft sky ink pads, soft sky marker
Accessories: Candy Dots - island indigo, soft suede, linen thread
Tools: circle punches - 1 3/8 in, 1 1/4 in

1 comment:

KimB said...

This looks great Di! The colours work together really well, masculine yet fresh, and I love the multi layered images. xxx