Tuesday 31 July 2012

Never Ending Baby Birdies

A customer friend was blessed with a beautiful baby girl recently, so I wanted to make a special card to celebrate (smiling & waving P). I know she loves the Aviary birdies & I do too, so I made her a cute birdie themed never ending card. If you haven't seen a never ending card before, they cleverly fold to show 4 different views. 
This is the front. I stamped Aviary birdies & used some matching Nursery Nest DSP & a little bling (you do need to keep the layers flat so that it turns properly). The sentiment is from my favourite 'Fabulous Phrases' set. You then fold the fronts to each side to see the second view.
I've coloured the 'Packed for Baby' stamp here & used more birdies, words & DSP. The white panel is for a message. To see the third view, you flip the 2 centre panels over. The flowers are from the itty bitty punch pack, with cupcake sprinkle centres.
Then you open each side to reveal the final view, which shows more birdies from the DSP pack & a special message for baby Eva. Fold each side back & you're back at the front. Hours of entertainment LOL.
Making your own never ending card
Never ending cards can be a little tricky to make the first time, but once you get the hang of them, it's hard to stop. Fortunately, there are lots of videos out there that show how to make them, as I think this is one card where you do need the visual clues to get started.
I tend to cut & score my cards a little differently to the tutorials I've seen though. I prefer to score the whole piece before cutting as it's quicker & more accurate. 

This is what I do for this approx 14cm square card.
1. Cut A4 sheet to 28cm x 14.1cm.
2. Score 3.5cm in from edge down each long side.
3. Turn card & score at 3.5cm, 10.5cm, 17.5cm, 24.5cm. 
4. Cut into 7cm wide pieces. You will then have 4 pieces that are 7cm x 14.1cm.
This template shows where the score lines (broken lines) & cut lines should be:
 
To put together your card, follow one of the the videos I've linked to:
The original video by Dawn that showed me how to make them
These 2 videos make a different sized card using the same principles:
Stampin' Up never ending card video
Another video by Dawn
You might also like to see my other never ending cards.

This was such a fun project to make & I hope the receipients enjoy turning it around & around & around as much as I do.  Thanks very much for visiting. If you have any questions or would just like to say hello, leave me a comment.

Inky wishes, Di

PS: I just realised that the Packed for Baby stamp I used here is from the Autumn/Winter Mini & only available until the end of today! Let me know ASAP if you'd like to order it or any of the other fab goodies in the Mini.

Supplies:
Stamps: Aviary, Fabulous Phrases, Packed for Baby, Curvy Verses
Card/Paper: certainly celery card (base), whisper white, pretty in pink card, Nursery Nest DSP
Ink: perfect plum, marina mist, certainly celery, pretty in pink, so saffron, bashful blue ink pads or markers
Accessories: basic rhinestones,
Tools: itty bitty punches, cupcake punch, word window punch, Big Shot, Timeless Type alphabet dies

2 comments:

H2 :) said...

This is a spectacular baby card Di! NE cards are so special (& so much fun to play with) & I am sure this one will be treasured by Eva's Mum. All the cute little birdies, the soft colours & dainty polkadots are gorgeous! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for including the tutorial for this, Diane - it's fabulous! Your card is beautiful.